Food poisoning

Food poisoning

Food poisoning is something that affects almost everyone at some point in their lives and is caused by eating contaminated food.

Although in certain circumstances it can be life threatening, most cases of food poisoning resolve themselves within a few days without medical intervention.

Food poisoning is a result of certain bacteria or viruses infecting the food, usually because of poor hygiene, insufficient cooking, or inadequate storage.

Symptoms normally appear within a day or two of consuming the food and include vomiting, diarrhea, a fever, aching muscles, stomach cramps, and nausea.

In the majority of cases the best treatment is to stay at home, rest and drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Do not eat until you feel capable and try to stick with small portions of light, bland food, like toast, bananas or rice.

If your symptoms are severe, if you do not begin to recover after a few days, if you are over the age of 60, or if a baby or young child has suspected food poisoning, then you should seek medical advice from your GP.


People with compromised immune systems, diabetes, kidney disease or other long-term medical conditions should also see their GP.

Remember, it’s your life, your future, Your Health First.